Commissioner Opat delivers the State of the County address at the University of Minnesota
I'm proud to represent the people of the 1st District in Hennepin County and chair the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners. In addition to ensuring the efficient delivery of county services and the effective expenditure of taxpayers’ dollars, my priorities include:
- A world-class teaching hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center: Hennepin County Medical Center and Hennepin Healthcare System.
- Building public infrastructure for County residents and businesses, including the Bottineau Boulevard corridor.
- Exercising stewardship of unique county places like Victory Memorial Drive, the memorial to Hennepin’s 568 fallen World War I troops.
- Smart public works projects, especially roads, bridges, bike paths and impaired lake cleanup within the county’s inner-ring suburbs.
- Improvements for neighborhood livability issues, including improving criminal justice and redeveloping blighted areas.
- Practical, effective social safety-net programs for vulnerable populations in Hennepin County.
- Strengthening and nurturing our award-winning and nationally ranked library system.
- Chair, Hennepin County Board of Commissioners
- Vice-Chair, Budget and Capital Investment Committee
- Vice-Chair, Libraries, Technology and General Government Committee
- Hennepin County Audit Committee
- Member, Brooklyn Bridge Alliance for Youth Board
- Member, Counties Transit Improvement Board
- Member, Joint Committee on Community Corrections
- Member, Greater MSP
- Member, Minneapolis Arts Institute Board
- Member, Municipal Building Commission
- Member, American Council of Young Political Leaders
- Honorary board member, Arc Greater Twin Cities
- Member, German Marshall Fund of the United States