Minnesota non-drivers are also asked to show identification in certain circumstances. A Minnesota State ID card will fulfill that need.
How to apply
Midtown Exchange or the Government Center Service Center locations are the only two that can accept applications for "first time" MN driver's licenses, instruction permits or identification cards.
You may make an appointment at either the Midtown Exchange or Government Center Service Center to reduce your wait time. Bring the following:
- Your current Minnesota Driver's license, non-Minnesota driver’s license or MN instruction permit
- One secondary form of identification from this list of Identification Requirements (PDF 54kb)
- Your social security number
- If you are under 18 - a parent or guardian with proper identification
- $17.25 - under 65 years old
- $11 - 65 years old and over